Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Saturday, May 28, 2011

THE WEEKENDER :) MEMORIAL WEEKEND SPECIAL

REMEMBERING
and
WE BRING YOU A SMILE
     My grandmother and her sisters used to call it "decoration day," the day you took flowers to decorate the graves.  It was always a Memorial Day tradition, to take flowers to the cemetery and to listen to the Indianapolis 500, "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," on the radio.
     It is a weekend to remember, not only those who were lost in the service to our nation, or those who served, but to remember all of our family and loved ones.
      My father and Mother, pictured above were diligent about remembering. That is probably why, whenever I am in Indiana, I visit the cemetery and place flowers.
     This weekend I'm across the country, but I remember those trips over the decades. I also remember generations who now rest in peace, especially brothers John and Jim, taken in their prime.
John David
James D
       I also remember Sid Collins who was the voice of the 500, the man who painted such vivid word pictures, who ignited my imagination on all of those memorial days of my youth.  As he called the race after our visit to the cemetery, I'd be racing my old bike around neighborhood blocks imagining being in the field with names like Rathman, Ward, Foyt, Jones, O'Conner, Flaherty, Vukovitch, Sachs and others.
      Years later I worked with Sid and I remember those days as well.

If you wish, here is a beautiful moment of reflection.

ZIGGY UPDATE
She has gone back to her normal napping, resting, observing and dreaming "nest." She has more of an appetite. We hope she's turned the corner.
NOW ABOUT SMILES


HERE'S SOMETHING TO PUT A SMILE INTO YOUR WEEKEND.  BE SURE TO WATCH THIS.
HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.
SEE YOU DOWN THE TRAIL.


No comments:

Post a Comment