Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Thursday, May 5, 2011

CHANGES, CHALLENGES AND THE EXQUISITE ORANGE

THE STATUS QUO
       Education really seemed important, the day I learned the meeting of 'the status quo."  It was elementary school, but it could have been an Ivy League college.  The phrase had the power to transcend. But soon I learned the status quo was more about the past than the exciting future.  Now I'm wondering if I'm not on the road to being a Luddite and too stuck on the status quo.
              Here's the beef.  My old computer and the need to upgrade to quicker and more whiz bang applications.  I love the new technology, I just don't like having to adapt to a new calendar system, new format and abandon a system that has worked just fine.
              Three or four years ago I got a new leather credit card holder-money clip.  It's got a nice sheen of dust on it because the old one, worn, a teensy bit frayed and requiring  an occasional re insert of the metal clip into the leather slot, works fine. Really!
              Plus, I'll be shopping for a new computer soon and I know that is really going to change the old habits. Some days the status quo sounds very comfortable.

PEOPLE WITH MONEY BEHAVING ODDLY
       If you've ever thrilled at the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey circus, we've got a three ring spectacle for you today. You are in your bleacher seat, the lights are low, the spot hits the ring master, in his red jacket and black top hat.



BOB'S STORY
CHALLENGE AND COURAGE
       Frequent readers know that from time to time my former radio colleague and long time friend, Bob is providing updates on his battle with Leukemia.  Here's his latest report.


Friends,

This week's chemo boost was routine; easily tolerated. Diane and I 
toured the Gift of Life Transplant House in Rochester, MN. She will stay 
there while I am hospitalized for my BMT. I will join her during the 
months following my discharge from Methodist Hospital. We plan on a 
combined stay in Rochester of 3 months. Gift of Life is available to us 
for subsequent visits to Rochester, if they relate to my transplant. My 
sister has sent her blood match re-verification kit to Mayo. We will get 
one to my brother yet this week. Our next regularly scheduled Mayo 
appointment is May 31st. We trust we will get the go-signal at that time 
and know when I am to be hospitalized to "condition" me for the 
allogeneic stem cell transplant. Conditioning includes Campath 
chemotherapy and 200 cGy TBI (Total Body Radiation, in case there are 
any radiation oncology fans listening in). We considered a trip to 
northern Japan, but this seemed a more convenient, cost effective 
radiation solution.

"Remain calm. All is well." --Kevin Bacon

Foster




A NATURAL TREAT
A simple story about a joy of living in California.
A story without words, but with great scent.









AHHH!
See you down the trail.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of work to get a little juice.

    At our last home in Phoenix we had tons of orange trees but they were all sour oranges. Made great marmalade, though.

    ReplyDelete