Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Getting the Story out

THE BEST YOU CAN DO, UNDER PRESSURE
     We admire the courage as well as the skill of journalists getting the story out of Egypt.
As a kid I learned that media coverage was not without risk. I watched as reporters covered the beatings, fire hose assaults, dog attacks and other violence by southern lawmen on black Americans, white civil rights activists and the journalists themselves.  
     During my years in journalism I found myself in moments of mayhem, violence and danger.  Something would kick in, perhaps a false illusion, that being in pursuit of a story, or facts would somehow protect you.  I learned that is not the truth.
     I also appreciate the ingenious use of personal technology and social networks in gathering and disseminating news.


     The story will move and change.  Power and control is at issue, so it will also be complex.  Reporters will do what they can to get as much information out as they can manage. That has also become a story. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment