Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT IF TWITTER EXISTED IN THE 60'S

  MAKE TWEETS NOT WAR?

     No, I don't think so.  The original is so much more, healthy.  Still it makes for a great dinner party What If conversation.
        What would be the parameters of the May Day shutdown of Washington with social media? How would battlefield decisions in Viet Nam have been affected?  Woodstock? Watergate coverage?  Let your mind roll.
       I'm not a first line adapter, but I follow pretty quickly. I wait for those with better skills to get out, push the new technology and platform and learn from them.  
      I've been amazed at how quickly LinkedIn connections have grown, how advertising and marketing has evolved, how we can continue to organize streams of data and information flow. Twitter was vital in getting early information out of Egypt and apparently in organizing the demonstrations.
     So that makes this all the more preposterous.  Can you recall how you communicated in 1994?  Call this 1:30 video "What is the Internet anyway?"  


     Now repressive regimes seek to shut down those very forms of communication that even big legacy media utilizes, even if 16 years ago the anchor team didn't have a clue.  That also speaks volumes.  You run that conversation in your own mind.

REEL THOUGHTS
     When it is film or cinema, I like to think of myself as an early bird.  I love the medium and have for as long as I can remember, which is why there is always something I want to see or am more than happy to talk about.  
     You may recall several weeks ago my ecstatic thoughts about THE KING'S SPEECH.  Obviously I'm delighted with its trail of accolades.  I wonder why though, Lionel Logue's (Geoffrey Rush) adherence to Christian Science was overlooked?  It didn't need to be a significant story element, but I recall that scene when the Archbishop was so disdainful.  Just for the sake of historical "completeness" it seems to me there could simply have been a line to address it. I am not an advocate of Christian Science, not a critic either, but do love the complexity and nuance that real life bumps, twists and warts bring to storytelling.  Not a big thing, just a wonder why.  THE KING'S SPEECH is an extraordinary work.  
BASED ON THE TRAILER THIS LOOKS PROMISING
A hit at Sundance, it is beginning to get a lot of attention.  I'll be in one of those first lines.


WINTER CONTINUES TO DRAG ON IN MOST OF THE US
AND SO WE PROVIDE ANOTHER DOSE OF RELIEF IN 
DAY BOOK
SUN KISSES



AND UP CLOSE





See you down the trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment