Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

WAITING AND CONTENTMENT

STATES OF MIND
       I remember asking a yoga teacher many years ago, "can you get to be too zen?"
His look was memorable, his answer was to sputter something less memorable before saying he wasn't sure he understood the question.  I vaguely recall the motivation behind it.
       I still wonder what it is that drives us.  Back when I asked  I worried that if I got too mellow I would loose motivation, simply being too comfortable with simply being. On the flip side of a professional track, I wonder why the creative muse still seduces us.  In the end it is peace and stillness if not contentment that claims us. So in these intervening stretches what is it about us that pushes us to reach, climb, create, seek.  
       Just look at the picture above.  On the one hand there is an idyllic quality to boats in a harbor, safe and secure.  But we know these boats, like our own minds and inner beings will depart the mooring line of tranquility for the potential catch that awaits out there, be it on the Pacific or in something written, painted, sculpted, baked, found after a climb or on a wave and so on.
        Contentment is a form of that eternal peace that rings this life of ours.  It is probably an antidote to other forces that bombard us.  Still, we need to dance just a little beyond the ring.
        As for me, I'm going to work on waiting, and be content in effort given.  I've sent off a manuscript. This time of waiting does its own boggie dance with the psyche.  Well I've gone off and tried to create something new again, and so I guess I've never gotten 
"too zen!" 
       In the meantime I'll stare at my blue bush.  Blue is a mellowing color

DAY BOOK 
SHADES OF GREEN


The grass in a neighboring field is as tall as I've seen it.
It loves the rain.
We are told more rain is brewing up there.
So in the meantime lets learn about contentment
from professor Ziggy about to begin her lecture
Yea, that's it.  A roll on the back in the sun
and then a snooze.  
See you down the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment