Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

AN INSPIRATION FOR WALT?

TREES THAT DANCE
     All of those weird and spooky trees in Disney cartoons used to trouble me.  Where did they come from?  In the midwest our trees were tall oaks, maples, sycamores, beech and the like.  Some would  have large branches and limbs, but they were never frenetic like the cartoon trees.
After moving to the Central California coast I began to discover the wild growth patterns of California Live Oaks.
Now these trees can look sinister, like the trees that might grab an unsuspecting cartoon character.
Though I noticed in the early spring, when naked of leaves and pared with clouds and California blue sky, they look like they might just dance.

Since the Disney animators, and those of other studios, lived in California doesn't it make sense the Live Oak might have been the inspiration?
You look at these trees and you see things, right?
Well?
I wonder if Kilmer had a California Live Oak in mind as the inspiration.
"I think that I shall never see
a poem as lovely as a tree..."

See you down the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment