Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Monday, November 28, 2011

AN OLD METHOD COULD BE BETTER

WHERE RAIL TRAVEL IS A GREAT OPTION
I had never traveled by train until our first
trip to the Europe in the 60's.  Since then
I have gladly taken trains there and
elsewhere in the world whenever it
was a viable option.
I had never traveled by train in the US
until we moved to California.  Now it is
my preferred route to Southern California from
here on the Central Coast.  Those who travel
north from here, speak highly of that journey.
The ongoing debate about building high speed rail service
in California prompts fervent attitude.  I'm all for
it, here and across the US.  Rail travel is more relaxed,
easier and enjoyable that air.  If the US had 
trains like those in Europe and Asia I suspect
the more expensive and hassle laden air travel
industry would change.  I suspect more people would
opt for rail.
None the less, we look forward to the train
and have become fond of "our home station," San Luis Obispo.  Friendly and efficient, it is picturesque 
and enjoys a beautiful setting.






Trips to San Diego or LA are only slightly longer
than by car and of course you don't need to drive
the freeways. You can enjoy the scenery along the way,
read, snooze, enjoy a meal and arrive much more
rested than by driving or flying.  
This tried and true old method of travel should be
given new life in the US, as it has been abroad.
See you down the trail.

3 comments:

  1. I seem to recall watching a program on TV that claimed San Luis Obispo was the 'happiest' city in the USA. I must say your pictures certainly make it look attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid post about my favorite way to travel. We loved the trains in Europe. The milk run we took from Nogales to Mazatlan back in the 70's was horrible but I hear it has been much improved since those days. It was an adventure, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen-
    One of the first things Lana and I noticed about SLO was how happy and friendly people are. It is true.
    Bruce-
    Never was on a train in Mexico. You have always been a bit of an
    adventurer.

    ReplyDelete