Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

THE NEW BLACK? REMEMBERING A GHOST TREE

CHOOSING THE NEW COLOR
       So it seems orange is the new "in" color of the season.
What do I know about fashion and color? Trips to France sensitized me to shifting color preferences. Friends wanted to know what the new fashion season revealed as the color we'd be seeing more of so I made a point of paying attention. 
         This year I saw a lot of orange in Palm Springs and environs, among some of the lovely patrons of the Indian Wells Tennis tournament, in shops and I see it is showing up elsewhere. I certainly have no pedigree from Ralph Lauren University, so I could be entirely wrong. And as a further qualifier, my idea of good color is blue and grey.  
        Anyway, California's central coast is painted by nature. It's a seasonal switch that cranks up the swatch palette. 











A FINAL STAND
   Aside from humans and elephants, trees get my vote for favorite life form on this blue planet. Old trees get  maximum respect. They don't travel of course but they observe the years, even centuries and leave a record. Talk about zen mellow!
    Seeing a stump serves an encouragement. Old roots remain in mother earth and the space above is reserved for the memory of a sentry or watcher.

  See you down the trail.

2 comments:

  1. Everything that's old becomes new again. In the 70s orange was very popular. I remember buying my wife an orange suede cape, which she thanked me for and put in her hope chest. Maybe it's time for her to pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI the Pantone color of the year is Radiant Orchid. https://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21129 Allegedly this affects interior design (i.e. Lowes paint) and fashion.

    ReplyDelete