Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Thursday, December 30, 2010

REFLECTIONS


APPROACHING THE END OF THE YEAR
     Modern journalism seems to like using the end of the year to review the big events of the previous 52 weeks.  I always thought it was a bit silly and arbitrary, but it has become a tradition.  So in that spirit----
     I think what I am most amazed by is how rapidly personal communication has replaced or eclipsed what we used to call "mass communication."  Social networks and the technology at their core have changed not only how people "hang out" and communicate, but how they order their lives.  One facet of that is how they are informed.  What we see at the end of 2010 is of course still the early days of this migration of information to personal systems.  
     Perhaps the loudest evidence of this has been how the old backbone of the information stream, networks, major newspapers and such have embraced the micro bursts of information now available through any number of services.
     I grew up in a newsroom where the clatter of a teletype machine served as a reminder that I had the world at my finger tips.  Today my Twitter account, following news organizations and blogs, gives me a more varied menu and more rapidly.  This will continue to change how we live.

AND NOW HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW INFORMATION AND HISTORY CAN BE BUNDLED IN A WAY THAT SHOULD CHANGE EDUCATION---ENJOY


1 comment:

  1. Omigod! You have a Twitter account. The fragmenting world is hopelessly lost.

    ReplyDelete