Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Respite

    Gentle ripples on a little pond in the flow of San Simeon Creek offer a respite from the madness and sickness of  2020.
     Remember the kind of world you imagined for 2020, back when we were filled with dreams and when most of life, including the distant 21st century was far in the future.
     For health and for a kind detox I've been visiting the past. 
   Farmers and ranchers on the California central coast have been "putting up hay."
   That leads me back to the early 1960s in central Indiana.
    US Highway 40 east of Indianapolis was dotted with villages and crossroads that were once part of the National Road. Places like Cumberland, Gem, Philadelphia, and Charlotte were little clusters of a life that passed by when the Interstate system was built. A few still had grain elevators and the expanse between was farmland.
    My father rented an historic and drafty large farmhouse in Cumberland, as we awaited the construction of new home near a golf course. I got to know the local lads, the Hills, and their cousins the Hilkene's and Sharpe's. They were farm kids and their families "put up hay" every summer and needed manpower.
      We'd start early in the morning, as soon as the field was dry. There were usually two of us on a wagon, pulled by tractor hooked up to a baler. 
      Blades would gather the cut hay and it was fed into a kind of conveyor.
         The baler shaped the hay and then wrapped it with a line or wire to keep it in a block. My job was to stand on the front of the wagon with a hook
  and grab the wrapped bale off the conveyor, turn and hoist it to Bobby, Chip, Jack, or who ever was on that wagon. He'd then stack it on the growing pile. We rarely had three on our wagons, so the "boy-power" could be spread to another wagon working the same field.
        The farms were large, the fields were massive, and the bales kept coming at you without stop.
           Hay is "put up" in the summer. The sun is scorching,  the hay or straw is scratchy and there were days when I thought the field was an ocean. But we'd always stop at noon. If there was a tree line with shade we'd settle there or get a ride to an area that was out of the sun. The farmer's wife would bring us picnic baskets full of relief. There were gallons of lemonade, iced tea, either a mountain of sandwiches or fried chicken. And usually there was a pie or fresh baked cookies.  15 and 16 year olds can devour more food than you can imagine.
          After lunch, and a moment to answer "nature's call," it was back to the wagon, field and hay. After a field had been cleared, or when the stacks were at a proper height, we'd jostle along to the barn, where the bales had to be off loaded and stored.
         I got stuck in the loft one day and thought I'd die from not being able to breath. A barn hayloft in the heat of summer is a miserable place. After that I was the guy who hauled the hay off the wagon and threw it on to a conveyor where the rest of the guys would go about filling the loft. They'd handle only every third for fourth bale, but tossing each one was worth not being in the loft.

   When ever I see hay in a field, I go back to those couple of years of learning to work. 
    Back then the future was unlimited. I want it to be that way for my grandchildren as well.
       We've got to get better at solving problems and working around or through differences.
      Lana took these shots the other day. She said it looked like I was talking to the cow. I was. 
       We'd been hiking for a while in the sun and I needed a moment in the shade, a shade being shared. I told the cow she didn't need to bolt, or charge me, that there was plenty of shade for the two of us. We made peace.
     There's been a lot of recent attention to the fact so many are depressed, or ill, full of the toxic nature of the news.   
      There is the unrelenting worry about Covid and this nation's failure to handle it as well as most of the world.    
      Then this age of reckoning brings us to painful truths and difficult decisions. I hope they are growing pains, but pains none-the-less.
      Remember when we used to say, as mad and as incompetent as Trump is, at least there is no crisis. Almost seems like the good old days doesn't it. Another mile marker on the descent of this nation.
             If I may suggest, a great antidote is to spend a few minutes viewing Lincoln Project videos and/or the videos  of Republican's Against Trump. They are short and cathartic. The truth is always alternative to the sick fantasy world the sick man weaves. Seeing it all told so well may help this nation with it's first political exorcism.
         I've been gratified by the early response of college leaders who say the administration's recent ICE crackdown on foreign students is just more evil and meanness. I hope they fight it. 
           We are fortunate to have the timeless shore, help with our emotional respite. We enjoy being able to share a few moments.
       Another respite moment came the other day when friends Jacque and Griff arranged for this. The talented Brynn Albanese and Eric Williams entertained a socially distanced block gathering within view of the Pacific.

  They are renowned and have superb credits and resumes, but like all musicians, have been sidelined. It was pure pleasure to see and hear them back in action.

   Everyone seemed to enjoy the respite. 

   I apologize to my friends abroad. This is not the America that nations could once trust. This is not the America that was recognized as a leader on important issues, as a beacon of light. We did it to ourselves, but I'm gaining a sense we will fix this. I suspect there is a hard rain coming, and it will be a time of rumble. 
    We seem on a path to address our racist and genocidal proclivities. Honest acknowledgement is forthcoming, even now. Fixing it will take time, but it will be good work for a nation.
     I think most have been shaken into a state of awareness. The prevailing cultural attitudes of celebrity, wealth and entertainment are not lodestones for a serious nation, nor the values by which to measure women and men for the fitness of work on the public's behalf. 
     These are hard truths. We ate the poison. It made us sick. It is killing us, but we know the cure, and the power resides within.

          Stay safe and well. Take care of each other. That is our destiny.

    See you down the trail.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Tom, some penetrating thoughts as usual. Your pix of hay baling reminded me of the connector road between Cuesta College and Foothill/Los Osos Valley Rd., that bucolic stretch of off the beaten path highway that right now has many bales in the field. We take it a lot on the way to SLO. As for the coronaviris, it has dampened many spirits, and restricted our activities that were so taken for granted. The current AARP magazine has some good counter measures for the anguish we all feel. An election coming up with Biden at the helm ought to smoothe things out quite a bit, as Trump has clearly gone off the rails. Two viruses at the same time, that's more than I can handle....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to live in an area that provides a kind of emotional healing, simply by the beauty.

      Delete
  2. I also did haying back in the late 50's through '62, when I started working for USFS in the summers. I hated haying....it was hot at my uncles ranch in Dufur, the chaff got into my t-shirt, etc. Once, I had the job of using the hay hooks to toss bales up to a cousin on the flatbed truck, my hand slipped, the hay hook staying in the bale, and went trough his thumb. Not sure he ever forgave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, That toss was always tricky, everyone of them. The sweatier you got, the more the grip on the hook was tenuous.

      Delete
  3. I have a good African-American friend who I worked with many years ago who used to say, "but have you ever picked cotton???" But he was joking. I don't think he did either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried to pick cotton, not for hire, but to see what it was like. No fun, hard work, and I had some bloodied fingers. Gained a world of admiration for those women and men who did it.

      Delete
  4. We only made hay in the neighbor's field, and it took maybe two days at most, but I know all about hay balers and hay hooks and loading bales on the trailer. Way back in my younger days in the Willamette Valley I remember an old neighbor using horses to lift the hay fork of loose haw into the hay loft. Those are all good memories of when I was a farm girl, before I became a city girl.
    I hope we will all be able to have a few good memories of this year of COVID and the rapid decline of America. I hope we can make it great again, and much better even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens "hay season" back then was only a couple of weeks. As a kid the few dollars we earned were golden, but our arms, backs and legs got a work out.

      Delete
  5. “Jac, there’s hay to put up” is a far from a foreign language. Now cherished Midwestern memories ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet you wouldn't want to hear someone beckon you to that work now eh?

      Delete
  6. As usual, very well said, Tom. Thanks. Never put up hay, but I've mucked out barns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I waited to muck out barns and clear barn lots after Lana and I put in a "garden" in Morgan County Indiana. In fact it was a truck farm and we learned the value of natural fertilizer. After a couple of seasons we realized cow chips, from a field and barn lot were superior to horse barns.

      Delete
  7. By the time i was old enough to "put up hay" my farmer grandfather had gotten rid of his animals with the exception of one cherished team of Belgians. On the other hand I "scooped" a lot of grain in the hot sun during harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, don't you think those were really shaping experiences for kids? Real lessons about hard work and getting a task done and pleasure/fun time delayed until the work is done.

      Delete
  8. The only thing that has really mattered to me for the past several years is watching and being a part of the bluebirds raising their young every year. 2 broods have come and gone so far and a third has just begun which is very gratifying -- generally they just do 2. Also, had a bottle of cheap wine and listened to the Moodies a few days ago which is always a pleasure -- but I'll take the birds, their twitter and my morning coffee anyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike-Sounds like you have your very own Bluebirds of Happiness! Your morning routine sounds mellow and healthy!

      Delete