Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

BEYONCE AND BEYOND

OH SAY!
     From this corner of the Peanut Gallery, it doesn't matter if Beyonce was live or recorded.  Her rendition of the National Anthem was stirring and sensational. So was the Marine Band.
JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE FREE TO
DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO
     Four letter words have lost their shock value. Like many of you, I'm comfortable enough in my own skin and values to appreciate the vast latitude that free speech provides, even when it is offensive.
     More offensive than hearing what we used to call "gutter" language coming from actors, comedians, singers, etc is the unnecessary use of it. The fact that more people swear or curse everyday is not something about which to be proud.  OK, maybe we have fewer reservation and perhaps people just feel free to say it like they wish, but some of what we called "polite" language has value, not the least of which is dignity.
      I'm surprised that good writers or authors believe they must put some words into the mouths of their characters. All too often it is not needed to build a character's personality or to help with plot line.  
      I'm no prude, and to be sure I can sail with spicy language, but I just wonder if we haven't hit the skids and simply peppered too much useless "foul" language into the mix.  Laziness? Stupidity? 

MORRO ROCK
YOU BE THE EDITOR
     Which of the two frames do you prefer?  If you'd care to, leave a comment below.

     Interesting what a difference a focal length can make eh?
     See you down the trail.

8 comments:

  1. Now just what the !@#$%*&##@@! are you trying to say?

    I think I prefer the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the longer focal length... the close up one. More impactful. It really immerses you into the boats and pulls the rock closer. More detail to feast on :-)

    2) I agree. Beyonce's rendition live or recorded-doesn't matter. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second photograph is more focused on the subject matter and a stronger composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First photo. Second too busy
    Talked to Anne Ryder today
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1st photo; 2nd is too busy and loses the impact of setting, serenity of the water, etc. Anyone who doesn't like my opinion can take a [BLEEP] jump off a [BLEEP] pier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Steve, the 1st gives a better prespective in my humble opinion. All the fishing gear on the boats is visible and the flora gives some extra prespective.

    I thought Beyonce did a good job and anyone that can lip sync like that can fool me all day long. Who cares..........sounded good. Next time I hope they don't tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work with language professionally, and I'm startled the degree to which this foulness has become the norm in popular culture. The movie The Hangover and others like it are a perfect example. Crude language is a really lazy way to get a laugh, and requires no wit and no skill. So my view is that this is really a manifestation of laziness. Compared to a classic Woody Allen comedy, or even better yet an old classic like Philadelphia Story, the new versions of movie comedy just aren't really artful at all.

    As regards the photos, I prefer the wider-angle lens. Somehow keeping Moro rock int he distance makes it appear more impressively massive. Composition of the first seems better to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the first photo~is more serene for me.
    I really think there are more pressing issues in DC than lip syncing! I think there are some in Congress who do it daily.
    Really don't like hearing younger citizens repeatedly uttering gutter language.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete