Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Sunday, July 16, 2023

What goes around comes around


        This moment was ripe with transcendence. 
       It was an unseasonably warm day, especially for a breakdown, but the man at the side of the road was blissful. 
        I stopped and asked "is everything OK?
        "It's great," he beamed.
        "You are the picture of determination," I said.
        "It's all fixed now."
        "Have a good day. Take care," I offered.
        "It's a great day. Have a good life" he smiled.

        Exuberantly peaceful, broken down, at the bottom of a hill! 
        The scene and his spirit launched me on a mind journey. I thought of the Wheel of Life, the the Bhavackra of Tibetan Buddhism. 
        That prompted the old saying "what goes around comes around" a kind of modern idiom of the ancient "as you sew, so shall you reap." 

         Karma?
       The consequence of one's actions will have to be dealt with, eventually. 
       
        By then thoughts tumbled in their own spin. Turning from Buddhism, to the Bible, and the Hindu Bhagavad Gita, (Song of God) resting on the axiom of science, for every action there is a reaction.
      I marvel at the fast circuit to such deepness after a chance encounter with a happy fixer of a broken thing.


        The profound truths stayed with me. They danced across my mind the next day as I was cooled by the mist and blowing fog that crossed the path of my hike, even as friends elsewhere sweltered in triple digit  and historic heat.

        I thought of Black Elk's Earth Prayer to the Great Spirit, older than all need. "Hey lean to hear my feeble voice. At the center of the sacred hoop."
        As our own sphere revolves and rotates in an ancient wheel around the sun, things are changing. 


        Our grandkids listen to cataclysmal projections as we witness scientist's surprise by how quickly those things are changing.


       It's a complex equation, life, still indecipherable and always beyond the reach of our expanding knowledge. Still, we have learned there is consequence to actions we have taken.
        Science!
       
       We have been braced and sustained, guided and blessed by a knowledge  ancient in mystery. It arrives as a longing, pushing us to a connection, exceeding the sum of our collective intellect, all too frequently assertive. Empiricism changes the boundaries. Certainty is elusive. 
      The mystery is deeper than we knew, even where heart and brain intersect. Soul? Spirit? Essence? Cosmic breath?
       People can grow in the face of the mystery, others seek not to look.


        Every tongue and culture, all tribes and histories hum primordial aspiration and drum admonition to uphold cosmic principle. How we live matters. 
       In origin stories, verses, parables, songs and eschatologies of every age there looms consequence. Woe to soiled and defiled cities, to oppressive regimes, priests who profane the sacred, judges who are wolves, officials who are corrupt, those who ignore the hungry, naked and homeless, those who shun mercy and justice; heat of anger, fire of passion, trembling mountains, earth consumed when we do not uphold life and prepare for new generations as sacred purpose.


            Black Elk's prayer "...with tears running O Great Spirit, my Grandfather, with running eyes I must say the tree has never bloomed.  Here I stand, and the tree is withered. Again, I recall the great vision you gave me. It maybe that some little root of the sacred tree still lives..."


            No matter creed, faith, philosophy or dreams, we need to protect the little root. Life comes first, before power or wealth. Life.


            There is work, one little piece at a time, and there will be struggle. How many can we count to be happy fixers of broken things?
          At a recent gathering, as much of the conversation stirred the anxieties, all of those broken things and places on this planet, a few of the crowd said they are happy to be aging out at the time they are, not wanting to face what may come. I took a countering view, expressing disappointment that I will not see all of the fixes and wonders the next century will bring. Our potential and promise rises from the sacred root that compels humankind to sew hope and touch stars, create and think and survive to tread on the edge of mystery. 
          Science. Soul. Sacred Principle. Our choices make a difference. 

        See you down the trail.


        

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tom. Beautiful & thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m joyful for the challenges - whether it bring old age, working with Prisoners to sense the Holy Spirit, men in general to be growing in their faith or loving my beautiful wife that much more than I already do. Still I pray Come Lord Jesus and wisk me away to be with You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom:

    I really resonated (wistfully) with the bike fellow. I would like that attitude to be a bigger part of my own resolve…. I need to work on that for certain.

    I apologize for not commenting on a while. Things have been challenging regarding family (one kid and my MIL’s dementia), but that is not really a valid excuse. I am trying to be back and more present now.

    I was wondering if you have heard anything about Geo? I visited his sites, but he has been quite absent there. I hope things are ok with him.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a through a season of quiet observing...I have followed your reflections and observations and a few others but have refrained from comment. I've been hard pressed to post here, reasoning what I have to say may not lead to further illumination or I've said it before. It is my sense that our little community in the blogosphere are reasonable, but we are a little raft adrift in a sea of opinion, acrimony and closed minds. So, that's a long way of saying, thank you, but there is no reason to apologize. I continue to admire your honesty and integrity of expression. As for GEO, I too am concerned. I miss his clever musings and sense of humor. I don't know of any other way to reach him.

      Delete
  4. My brother,
    This is what you are doing at one in the morning? Wonderful! The weaving together of Buddhist, Hindu, and Christian thoughts, along with Black Elk being Black Elk is so much a part of my own understanding it felt like listening to a fellow traveler on whatever journey I am on. Thanks man, and thanks for letting me work with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful words, TC. Thank you

    ReplyDelete