Light/Breezes

Light/Breezes
SUNRISE AT DEATH VALLEY-Photo by Tom Cochrun

Thursday, October 23, 2014

TAKE A HIKE! A FAST CROWD THROWBACK

THE HIKE
   Take a hike with us on the Morgan Pass Trail in the Muir Wilderness above Rock Creek in the Sierra Nevada. At this point we are at about 9,600 feet.
   It's brisk and there is a growing breeze.
   Warnings were posted about an increase in bear activity.
In previous years we've seen only bear scat.

  As we gain altitude we get better looks at peaks in the eastern Sierra.


  Moving into open meadows the wind begins to gust.


   At this point I'm fascinated by the spire like chalk white peaks on this portion of the range.


   Getting closer to 11 thousand feet Lana puts on gloves, the temperature dips and we see patches of ice on the trail.




 We find a spot that partially blocks the wind so we can take a picnic break.
   Our view is another lake and meadow.
   Down the trail after lunch it's time for a rest. Legs and knees can use a break after a few hours of trail and the stone ledge retains the warmth of the sun.
   When we set out we didn't know we'd need to layer on
vest, over fleece, over shirts, but that's why you fill your packs for any number of eventualities.  One thing you can always count on is the sheer beauty and awesomeness of the mountains.
Photo by Lana
Walking Stick created by Moto Groove
A FAST CROWD THROWBACK
1964 Warren Central High School Track Team.
  Hard as it may be to believe I ran the 100 yard dash, 180 yard low hurdles, a leg on the relay team and was captain of the team. Any guess on who of these lads I am?  My brother John, the high hurdler, is missing from the photo.

  See you down the trail.

6 comments:

  1. When I looked at it on my Smartphone I thought you were in the front row, far left. But now, looking at it on my desktop monitor, I think you're in the back row, fourth from right. And, if so, is that a buzzcut of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a bit short, thought it was a growing out crew cut. Pre-Beatle invasion.
      And you spotted the Capt.

      Delete
  2. I suspect you'd give a large sum of money to have that Warren sweatshirt again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It was well worn then, passed from year to year and it was "seasoned" by the time of my occupancy. I was proud to wear the colors and compete. Being a township school we were largely white. The competition in the opens and state meets was outstanding and multi cultural. Silly it seems now but earning a letter and getting the captain's stripes was something of which I was and am proud. Alas, my ribbons were stolen in a robbery years ago in Morgan County but there were a few blues too.

      Delete
  3. Your new camera is fantastic!! The "lake and meadow" picture is breathtaking!! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, for some reason your blog has dropped off of my blogroll. I don't know why, but I'm rejoining so as not to miss your posts. Has anyone else had this problem?

    ReplyDelete